Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

Tragedy!

Tragedy has struck the southern restaurant community. Relish, my absoulte favorite restaurant, has decided to close as of December 31st of this year. They will be reopening later next year with a Mexican restaurant. This is great and all, but we have a million Mexican restaurants in Atlanta, and Relish offered something different. True gourmet southern food.

They have many amazing menu selections ranging from fried black eyed peas, pimento cheese fritters, and shrimp and grits. However, my stand out favorite is their Krispy Kreme Bread Putting with espresso whipped creme. Knowing that these treats are now limited, I set out on a quest to make my own Krispy Kreme bread pudding.



Two things: I have never had regular bread pudding. I only know the Krispy Kreme variety. Krispy Kreme bread pudding is everything a Krispy Kreme doughnut wants to be. If you have never had one, you need to change that immediately.

On to the recipe! I used this recipe. I chose it for two reasons, the first being that it did not call for stale doughnuts. I am too impatient to wait for them to become stale. Second, the whip creme was espresso creme, as opposed to rum, and called for brewed espresso, as opposed to instant.

I know a lot of people do not have espresso machines, but when recipes call for a table spoon of instant espresso powder, I am always confused as to what the equivalent would be of brewed espresso.

This was relatively simple. I tested it and I think it turned out pretty well. Not quite Relish's yet but pretty darn close! I will be sad to see Relish go, but I am glad that not all the dishes that made it famous will be forgotten.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my lord. Krispy Kreme bread pudding. I've been waiting for something like that all my life. Clarkmas dessert?

    ReplyDelete